Pat a cake, pat a cake, baker’s man, bake me the best apple crumb sheet cake you’ve ever made as fast as you can!!
I must say that I didn’t plan on posting this delish apple crumb sheet cake recipe. But Fritz family, a family that we met about 2 years ago at a campsite in Etosha National Park, Namibia, wanted me to give them this recipe, after they’ve tasted it, two weeks ago. So I thought that, it will be a great idea for me to post this recipe, so that they’ll have a good reason to visit my blog. This recipe was inspired by a recipe that I got from my mum in law’s sister in law a few years ago.
What makes this cake super moist is that you pour heavy cream and milk on the cake while it’s hot.
This super moist apple crumb sheet cake recipe is:
- absolutely foolproof just like spinach feta pinwheels and ham & cheese pastry sticks
- very quick
- very moist even after 4 days
- and versatile. You can adjust it according to your liking. (1) You can skip the filling,(2) or substitute the apples with fruits of your choice and so on.
This XXL apple crumb cake is perfect for any celebration. I made this cake tons of times. Especially for birthdays and family coffees on Sundays. Just like the best cheesecake ever recipe, best chocolate tart ever and fresh strawberry cake recipes, I always make this cake a night before, so that the milk and heavy cream will have enough time to penetrate in the cake.
Best Apple Crumb Sheet Cake Ever!
Yield: 25 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 35 – 40 min, @ 200 °C/ 392 °F
Total Time: 55 min
Absorb Time: at least 1 hour / overnight
For the cake base:
– 250 g (8.8 oz/ 2 cups) pain flour
– 150 g (5.3 oz) butter, room temperature
– 150 g (5.3 oz/ ¾ cup) sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 3 eggs, room temperature
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract / 1 package vanilla sugar (7 g/0.2 oz)
– 4 tablespoons milk, room temperature
For the filling:
– 5 medium sized apples
– 1 teaspoon lemon juice
– a handful almond flakes/ chopped almonds
– a handful raisins
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the crumb topping:
– 250 g (8.8 oz) butter
– 200 g (7 oz/ 1 cup) sugar
– 400 g (14.1 oz/ 3 1/3 cups) plain flour
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract / 1 package vanilla sugar (7 g/ 0.2 oz)
For the sauce:
– 150 ml (about ½ cup) heavy cream
– 150 ml (about ½ cup) milk
NOTE: You can also use substitute milk with heavy cream if you like.
You’ll also need:
– 2 bowls
– 1 baking sheet
– a parchment paper
– butter to grease the sheet
– Hand mixer/ whisk
– a spatula/ spoon
Best apple crumb sheet cake ever step-by-step-photo recipe:
1. Grease the baking sheet with butter and line it with a parchment paper.
Make the cake base:
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, eggs, sugar, butter, milk and vanilla extract/sugar and whisk to a smooth cream.
3. Using a spatula scrape the batter into the prepared baking sheet, smooth the top and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C, with both top and bottom heat.
Make the filling:
5. Next, peel the apples, remove the core and cut into slices. Put the apples in a bowl add the remaining ingredients for the filling except the almond flakes or chops and mix well.
Scatter the apple filling mixture all over the cake base.
Then sprinkle almond flakes/ chopped almonds all over the top.
Make the crumb topping:
6. In the same bowl that you used to make the cake base combine flour, butter, sugar and vanilla extract/ sugar. Using your hands mix all the ingredients together until small crumbles start to form.
Sprinkle crumble evenly over the apple mixture and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
NOTE: If you skip the filling, just bake the cake for 25 – 30 minutes.
7. After 35 – 40 minutes, remove the cake immediately from the oven and put it on the counter.
Pour the heavy cream and milk mixture evenly on it.
Let this gets absorbed for at least 1 hour or overnight.
You can serve this delish cake with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or dust it with icing sugar or eat it just like that. Enjoy!