Ongeipi, I’m so glad you are here. My name is Ester. I was born and raised in Namibia, but now residing in Germany with my husband and our daughters.
I started this food blog in 2018 a couple of months after becoming a mum for the first time as a hobby, with the aim to share family favorite recipes from around the world. Even though I mainly post authentic Namibian and German recipes.
I grew up in a village in the northern part of Namibia. At a young age I learned cooking traditional Namibian dishes such as Oshifima, Oshingali, Fat cakes and Marathon Chicken with freshly homemade Marula oil, from my mother, my both grandmothers and aunts. And this is how I felt in love with cooking.
Even back then my relatives used to rave about my food. I remember when I was at boarding school, every time I went home for the weekend for instance, my cousin Kondja was always telling me how much he missed my food.
In my early 20s, after bachelor’s degree in geology and working for a couple of months, I received a scholarship to further my studies in Germany.
And this is how I left my home country for the first time, got on the plane, and came to Germany.
When I came to Germany, I wanted to finish my studies as fast as possible and go back home. But then I met my now-husband (back – then boyfriend), Jo. So I decided to stay. Sorry mum 🙂
My mum was not amused at all. But with time she accepted my decision. She was even over the moon after we got married in Namibia.
After my studies I moved to Bavaria, where I learned how to make authentic Bavarian dishes from my mum in law Beate, who is by the way an amazing cook and baker.
Thus why the hands you see in most of the German recipes on this blog like here and here belong to here. 😀
What to expect from this blog
On this blog you’ll find delicious and easy to follow recipes with photos from busy-day dinner, Sunday roasts, cakes, drinks to DIY.
A little more about me..
- In 2018 I took part in the German version of come dine with me ,,das Perfekte Dinner” and in 2019 in the parenting tv show entitled ,,Mein Kind Dein Kind”.
- I represented my country, Namibia at 2 international beauty contests: Miss Supranational and Miss Princess of the World .
- When my husband and I went on a one-month honeymoon to Thailand, I took a Thai cooking class in Chiang Rai, in the northern Thailand.
- On my free time I sing in a choir, give cooking classes at local adult education center, do zumba or go for a short run. I also took part in a half marathoN, even though I only trained for a 10 km run.
- It took me 5 months to learn German from basic (A1) to fluent (C1/C2) after my master’s degree.
- I only go out to eat when the food is really good. Yes I am a foodie, so much so that I travel for food.
- And by the way, Ester kocht, simply means Ester cooks, in German.
Sunday 26th of February 2023
Hallo Ester, eine coole Seite hast du! Ich bin über das äthiopische Berbere auf deine Seite gekommen, aber du hast auch noch viel mehr zu bieten. Weiter so!
Sunday 31st of July 2022
Hi Ester, came looking for the Nusszkopf and stayed for other treats! Hey, what is the dish you’re pictured making at the bottom of your bio? Tomatoey sauce that you’re breaking eggs into? Just wondering… Thanks for the recipes. Blair
Tuesday 2nd of August 2022
Hello Blair, I'm so glad to hear. It's shakshuka ;-)
Wednesday 30th of March 2022
Wonderful German recipes, thank you for sharing.
Monday 25th of June 2018
Wow, thank you so much Carole! Of course I have a Facebook Page: @ester kocht.
Thursday 31st of May 2018
Your food looks amazing 😉 Just wondering if you have a Facebook page as I would love to follow that too.