Can you imagine a world without pasta? Me never!! I could eat pasta each and every single day.
Well today, I would like to share with you one of my favorite pasta dishes: Spinach cream cheese lasagna. This recipe is in my opinion the world’s best spinach cream cheese lasagna.
It’s flavorful, quick and easy to throw together. All you have to do is whip up the spinach cream cheese sauce as well as the tomato sauce, throw the lasagna in the oven for 40 minutes @ 180 °C and done!
For this recipe you don’t have to cook the lasagna sheets before using them, even if you’re using the regular ones. Just make sure that the lasagna sheets are covered with the sauce. Trust me guys, this recipe never disappoints. Even my meat-lover husband loves it!
So if you’re looking for a healthy busy-day dinner, crowd-pleaser or comfort food recipe, then you should definitely give this vegetarian lasagna a try.
Don’t forget to check out these easy and quick weeknight dinner recipes: stuffed chicken roulade, pork belly -sausage – bean stew, chili con carne, pork in mushroom sauce and meatballs in tomato sauce.
Spinach cream cheese lasagna recipe
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min @ 180 °C
For the spinach sauce:
– 350 g frozen spinach , thawed and drained
– 200 g cream cheese
– ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the tomato sauce:
– 2 medium sized onions
– 400 g canned tomatoes, undrained
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 tablespoon olive oil/ any
– 200 ml heavy cream
– 150 g sour cream
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– salt and pepper
You’ll also need:
– 150 g grated cheese of your choice (I used grated emmental cheese )
– no-boil 12 lasagna sheets (approximately 180 g lasagna noodles)
– a casserole dish (I used a ca. 20 x 30 casserole dish)
– 2 skillets/ pots
– a wooden spoon
Note: I didn’t have grated cheese at home, thus why I grated it on my own.
Spinach cream cheese and tomato lasagna step-by-step-instructions
Make the spinach sauce:
1. Cook spinach for 2 minutes in a skillet or pot at medium-low heat without adding water. Stir in nutmeg and then cream cheese.
Mix well until smooth. Season with pepper, remove from the heat and set aside.
Make the tomato sauce:
2. Peel and cut onions and garlic finely.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot at medium-high heat and saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add undrained tomatoes, followed by sugar and bring to a boil.
Add heavy cream and sour cream and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C, with both top and bottom heat.
3. Start with spinach sauce and end with tomato sauce. Spread a thin layer of spinach sauce in a casserole dish. Then add a layer of lasagna sheets followed by spinach sauce and then tomato sauce layers.
Repeat the process until you’ve used up all the sauces and lasagna sheets.
Note: You should arrange the lasagna sheet layers in alternating directions.
Sprinkle wit grated cheese and bake for 40 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
4. After 40 minutes let lasagna rest for few minutes before serving.
Garnish with fresh basil if desired and serve.