What kind of a birthday is this without a strawberry birthday cake? Those are the words that I told my husband, Jo, two months ago on my birthday. Jo just wanted me to lie back, relax and enjoy my birthday this year, without a fresh strawberry cake. In the end I gave up, although I was not amused by the whole idea. Because this is my every year birthday cake from me to me. I’m just crazy about strawberries and I love the combination of fresh strawberries and cream frosting.
Last weekend, I picked strawberries from a nearby strawberry field. While picking the strawberries, I knew exactly what I was going to do with them. Of course bake my one and only strawberry cake recipe after craving for it for months.
This cake completely blew my mum in law away, the first time I made it. It even became one of her favorite cake recipes. I was so proud of myself. Because my mum in law is an amazing cook. I even prefer eating her baked goodies, than buying from the bakery for instance. I’ve made this heavenly strawberry cake several times since then and it’s always a hit.
This cake is very creamy, not too sweet, moist, very tasty and beautiful for any celebration. Just like apple tart and chocolate tart. Moreover, the baked cake uses only four ingredients: flour, eggs, butter and sugar. There is also so much room for substitutions when it comes to the frosting. If you don’t have strawberries for instance, you can use different fruits of your choice. You can use tangerines, pears, raspberries, pineapples, you name it. This recipe was inspired by recipes from chefkoch and essen-und-trinken sites.
I must mention that, It’s very important that you let the cake cool completely or at least one hour before frosting. If you frost it and chill it, without cooling it completely, the cake will create steam and become soggy. And you don’t want that to happen to your irresistible strawberry cake. This cake is best served few hours after frosting. It also stays fresh up to 2 days. You just have to cover it and chill it.
Though this strawberry cake is very easy to make, it requires lots of patience and time. But it’s all worth it guys. I guarantee you’ll enjoy this cake with every single bite.
So guys, if you’re a big fan of strawberries, enjoy eating creamy cakes, or you’re just looking for a perfect cake for your upcoming party, then I would definitely recommend you to give this fresh strawberry cake a try.
Fresh strawberry cake step-by-step recipe
Yield: 12 Servings
Total Time: 170 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 25 min
Cool Time after baking: at least 1 hour
Frosting time: 10 Min
Chill Time: at least 1 hour
Topping Time: 5 min
For the cake:
200 g sugar
140 g flour
140 g butter
For the strawberry – cheese frosting:
500 g fresh strawberries
200 g mascarpone cheese
200 g sour cream
200 g plain natural yogurt
200 g cream cheese
2 packages cream stabilizer (whip it or sahnesteif) ( 1 package is between 8 – 10 g)
1/4 vanilla extract
70 g sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the topping: (optional)
200 ml heavy whipping cream, well chilled
1 package cream stabilizer
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
strawberries and fresh lemon balm /mint leaves, for garnish
You’ll also need:
– a hand mixer
– 2 bowls
– a spatula
– cake tin (I used a 26 com -spring-form cake tin)
Strawberry Cake Step-by-step-Instructions
1. Start off by melting the butter either in the microwave, saucepan on the stove or in the oven that you’re currently preheating to 180°C and let it cool.
2. While the butter is melting, line the 26-cm spring-form cake tin with a parchment paper at the bottom and grease the sides with butter.
3. Next, divide 3 eggs into two separate bowls.
In the egg yolks bowl, add a full egg. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until light and fluffy and set aside.
4. Next, add sugar to 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks and beat until creamy.
Using a spatula stir in the flour,
then the egg whites
and finally the melted butter.
5. Pour the batter into the cake tin
and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely.
Strawberry cheese frosting:
6. Wash the strawberries, cut off the stems and then cut them into small pieces.
7. In a bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, yogurt, sour cream, cream stabilizer and lemon juice.
Using a hand mixer whisk all the ingredients.
Afterwards add the strawberries chunks and mix.
8. Transfer the cooled cake to a plate or platter, upside down. Take the ring from the spring-form cake tin and put it around the cake.
9. Spread the frosting cream over it. If you want, you can also cut the cake in the middle so that you’ll have two layers. I just like keeping my life simple. Thus why I leave out the cutting.
10. Cover the frosted cake and chill for at least 1 hour.
Topping (if desired):
11. Shortly before serving the cake, you can make the topping. In a bowl/jar combine heavy cream, cream stabilizer, sugar and vanilla extract. Whip the cream until light and a thick.
12. Spread the whipped cream on the cake. Garnish with strawberries and lemon balm leaves.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see!. Snap a pic and share it on Ester kocht Facebook Page or @ester.kocht on Instagram.