If someone could have told me 20 years ago that the pear cake will become one of my favorite cakes in the future, I could have replied: You must be kidding me!! Because for me, someone who grew up in Okamanya, a small village located near Okongo, in the northern part of Namibia, I only used to eat apples and pears very very rarely. And of course I’ve always shared one fruit with my other 10 cousins. So back then I did not know that an apple cake or even strawberry cake exist. Well this kind of thinking is over now, thanks to the fact that I went to school.
Well, about 2 weeks ago we visited one my husband’s uncle, who lives about 1,5 hours car drive from our place. Upon our arrival we went for a walk before having the cheesecake that we brought with and the Apfelstrudel made by Jo’s uncle for coffee.
During our walk we came across tons of pear and apple trees, whose fruits were just scattered on the ground and getting rotten. Since I hate seeing staffs getting wasted, I started picking pears, that I later used to make this yummy pear cake.
This easy pear cake recipe is absolutely foolproof, not too sweet, delicious and easy to put together. I could even make it with my eyes covered.
You might find the cake base ingredients unusual or maybe you’ll be thinking that I might have forgotten one or two ingredients, but I will assure you that I didn’t forget anything and the cake tastes really good. So you don’t have to worry about anything. Because I made this recipe couple of times and it always turns out well.
By the way you can also use canned pears to make this recipe. You can dust this yummy cake it with icing sugar or eat it just like that.
Now let’s get started with the step-by-step recipe.
Easy fresh pear cake recipe
Yield: 12 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 60 min, @180 °C
Total Time: 75 min
For the cake base:
– 200 g flour
– 120 g butter, chilled
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 2 tablespoons water
– a pinch of salt
For the filling:
– 350 g peeled pears and core removed
– 90 g sugar
– 2 eggs
– 100 ml heavy cream
– 200 g sour cream
– 1 tablespoon vanilla pudding powder
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: I’ve used around 1 kg pears for this recipe, but most of them were rotten, so I’m not really sure of how many pears you’ll need in the end if they are all fresh. I weighed the pears after peeling them and removing the core and this is the quantity that I have provided in the recipe.
You’ll also need:
– 2 bowls
– spring-form cake tin (I used a 26 com -spring-form cake tin)
– a parchment paper
Easy fresh pear cake step-by-step-Instructions
1. Start off by lining the cake tin with a parchment paper at the bottom and grease the sides with butter.
2. Combine cake base ingredients: In a bowl combine flour, butter, sugar, water and a pinch of salt. Using your hands mix all the ingredients together to form a firm dough. Put the dough in the fridge while you’re preparing the filling.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, with both top and bottom heat.
4. Next, peel the pears, remove the core and cut into slices and set aside.
5. In a second bowl combine sugar, heavy cream, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract and pudding powder. Whisk to a smooth cream.
6. Place the pastry into the prepared cake tin. Don’t’ worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Using your hands, press the cake base until the bottom of the cake tin is covered. Make the dough a bit high on the sides as well, (as shown below).
7. Arrange pear slices on top and pour the filling all over the top. Bake for 60 minutes.
8. After 60 minutes switch off the oven. Open the door halfway and let the cake be in the oven for at least 10 minutes, so that it will become nicely golden brown. enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see!. Snap a pic and share it on Ester kocht Facebook Page or @ester.kocht on Instagram.