today I would like to share with you one of my favorite side dishes after fresh herb bread, tomato rice. This recipe was inspired by tomato rice from one of our favorite Greek restaurants.
Tomato rice is a classic side dish, which is mostly consumed in Greece and its islands. Tomato rice tastes amazing to all kinds of meat such as Balkan style grilled sausages and bifteki. It also tastes brilliant to coleslaw or stuffed vine leaves. If you like you could also enjoy it with a blob of tzatziki.
This with cinnamon and a light cumin touch tomato rice recipe is very juicy, flavorful and comprises of only few steps. If you like your rice more colorful, just add peas or bell peppers. The rice is simmered in pureed tomatoes and vegetable stock. This gives it a fantastic flavor and a creamy consistency.
I have made this recipe plenty of times and it’s always a hit. The first time I made it for my parents in law my mum in law said that it tasted like the tomato rice from the Greek restaurant. I always serve tomato rice with tzatziki and bifteki. This takes me a total of 1 hour to make a fabulous dinner for my family.
Looking for more weeknight dinner recipes?
- Meatballs in tomato sauce
- Stuffed chicken breasts
- Chili con carne
- Stuffed peppers
- 15 minute chicken pineapple curry from scratch
Now let’s get started with the step by step photo recipe.
Easy One Pot Tomato Rice
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
– 250 g (1 1/4 cups) white rice
– 1 garlic clove
– 1 onion
– 800 ml (3 1/3 cups) vegetable stock
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 500 g (about 2 cups) pureed tomatoes
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon ground paprika
– ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon sugar/honey
– 1 knife tip cinnamon
– salt and pepper to taste
You’ll also need:
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– large pot
– cutting board & knife
Easy one pot tomato rice step-by-step-instructions
1. Peel and chop garlic and onion finely.
2. Heat oil in a pot at medium-high heat and sauté onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste, folowed by sugar and mix well.
Stir in the pureed tomatoes, followed by dried herbs, ground paprika, cumin, cinnamon and rice.
Give everything a good stir and stir in half of the vegetable stock.
Bring to boil and reduce the heat to medium–low. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice has reached your preferable consistent. Keep stirring in between and adding the remaining fluid.
Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!!
Easy One Pot Tomato Rice Recipe
- 250 g (8.8 oz/ 1 1/4 cups) parboiled rice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 800 ml (3 1/3 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 500 g (17.6 oz/ about 2 cups) pureed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 knife tip cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Start off by peeling and chopping garlic and onion finely. Heat oil in a pot at medium-high heat and sauté onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and sugar/honey and mix well. Stir in the pureed tomatoes, followed by dried herbs, ground paprika, cumin, cinnamon and rice. Give everything a good stir and stir in half of the vegetable stock. Bring to boil and reduce the heat to medium–low. Cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice has reached your preferable consistent. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining fluid. Season with salt and pepper.