Sausage Bean Stew
This no fail cabanossi sausage bean stew with pork belly is delicious, quick and so simple to make. A perfect busy-day dinner recipe.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 2 medium onions
- 500 g (1.1 lbs) canned kidney beans drained
- 800 g (28.2 oz/ 4 cups) canned tomatoes undrained
- 300 g (10.2 oz) store-bought smoked pork belly
- 300 g (10.2 oz) Cabanossi sausage or similar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cups) water
Start off by cutting pork belly and cabanossi into small pieces. Then peel and finely chop the onions. Heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil in the pot at medium-high heat and brown the cabanossi. Remove the sausage and set it aside. Brown the pork belly in the same pot without adding extra oil. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir well. Next add undrained tomatoes, kidney beans and water. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes, half covered. Keep stirring in between. Add the browned cabanossi that you previously kept aside and simmer for another 10 minutes, half covered. Season with salt and pepper. (SEE NOTE 1)Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and serve immediately.
- Taste the stew before adding salt, because pork belly and cabanossi can be very salty.