German gooseberry cake with vanilla cream and crumble
This gooseberry cake with crumble is easy to follow, a bit tart and not too sweet. Made up of a cake base, filled with fresh gooseberries and vanilla cream and finished off with crumble that's flavored with vanilla. A must have recipe for gooseberry lovers!!
Servings: 12 Servings
For the cake base
- 180 g (1 ½ cups/ 6.3 oz) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) butter soft
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 g (about 1/3 cup/ 2.1 oz) sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
For the vanilla cream
- 250 ml (1 cup/ 8 ½ fl. oz) milk
- 40 (⅓ cup/ 1.4 oz) corn flour cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 200 g (7.1 oz) sour cream
For the streusel (crumble)
- 250 g (2 cups + 1 tablespoon/ 8.8 oz) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 175 g (about ¾ cup/ 6.2 oz) butter soft
- 100 g (½ cup/ 3 ½ oz) sugar
You'll also need
- 550 g (1.2 lbs) gooseberries washed and stems and brown appendage removed
Combine the flour, butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl and beat with a whisk until you have a smooth dough. Transfer the batter to a 26 cm(10 inch) spring-form (or cake tin with removable base) lined with a parchment paper at the bottom and greased on the side. Smooth with a spoon or spatula and set aside.
In the same bowl that you've used to make the cake base combine sugar, butter and flour. Using your hands mix all the ingredients together until small crumbles start to form. Set aside as well. Then preheat the oven to 180 ° C (356 °F), with both top and bottom heat.
Now in a small pot combine milk, sugar and cornstarch (corn flour). Keep stirring constantly until it starts to bubble and has thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes. In the meantime scatter gooseberries over the base. Add sour cream to the cream that you previously made and whisk. Spread the vanilla cream on top of the gooseberries and sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the crumbles are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for few minutes. Serve it with whipped cream and enjoy!