Spinach And Feta Quiche Recipe
This easy to follow and delicious spinach feta quiche made with homemade shortcrust pastry and filled with creamy spinach feta sauce is a family favorite. Even my 4 – year old picky eater loves it.
Servings: 4 Servings
For the shortcrust pastry
- 250 g (8.8 oz/ about 2 cups + 2 tablespoons) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 150 g (5.3 oz/ ½ cup +2 tablespoons) butter chilled plus extra for the form
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the creamy spinach sauce
- 300 g (10.6 oz) frozen spinach thawed and very well drained
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g (7.1 oz) feta cheese
- 200 g (7.1 oz) cream cheese
- 100 ml (3.4 fl.oz/ about 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) milk
- 2 medium eggs
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter for sautéing
Make shortcrust pastry: Begin greasing a flan dish and lining it a parchment paper. Mix butter, egg, sugar and flour into a bowl together with your hands to a firm dough. Next break the pastry apart and press it into the prepared flan dish with your hands. Set aside while making the spinach sauce.
Make creamy spinach saucewith feta: Peel and mince garlic and onion. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet or pan over medium heat and saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes. Add thawed and very well strained spinach and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in cream cheese and milk. Then crumble in feta and Parmesan cheese and stir well. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the eggs.
Assemble spinach feta quiche and bake: After making the creamy spinach sauce preheat the oven to 180°C (356 °F), with both top and bottom heat. Now pour the filling onto the top and spread it nicely all over the shortcrust pastry with either a spoon or a spatula. Bake for about 60 minutes or until the filling is lightly brown. Let cool for few minutes and enjoy! This spinach feta quiche tastes amazing both warm and cold.
- This time I've used a mixture of split flour and whole wheat to make the shortcrust pastry, but normally I use plain flour (all purpose flour) and it works amazing as well.